The Perfect Pie


Two weeks ago, I became my own boss (read about it here) And as my own boss, I get to make a lot of decisions for how my day goes. Including whether or not I want to bake a pie in the morning and eat said pie for breakfast. Yes, I had pie for breakfast, don't even pretend like you've never done that. But I'm my own boss so it's ok.


I really love pie. Like LOVE LOVE it. I think there is no better dessert, and I'm willing to debate it with you. I don't think pie for breakfast should be an everyday decision, but sometimes you just have to for the love of pie. 


See, even Fitz loves pie. I also bought this new pie plate from Anthropologie (shh, don't tell Andrew) so I really had no choice but to make a pie for breakfast. My hands were tied guys. 

The real key to a great pie is a great crust. This crust recipe is adapted from The Pioneer Woman who loves shortening and butter as much as I do, God bless her. 

And can we also just talk about how awesome these pictures look? I finally bought a DSLR so now my pictures are sooo professional. Here are a few more of them, along with the recipe because I know that's what you really want. 


Ingredients 
For the crust
• 3 cups all purpose flower
• 1 1/2 cup Shortening
• 5 TBSP cold water
• 1 large egg
• 1 TBSP Vinegar
• 1 tsp salt

For the filling
1 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
• 2 lbs sliced fruit of your choice

Directions
Preheat Oven to 350

1.     Combine the flour and shortening. Use a pastry cutter and really work the flour into the
        shortening. This actually doesn't take very long to do by hand, so use a pastry cutter and spare
        yourself having to do the dishes. You'll know you're done when the flour resembles a course
        meal.

2.     Add the egg, water, vinegar, and salt. Beat the egg with a fork before adding it in. Continue
        working with the pastry cutter until it resembles dough. You may opt to get in there with your
        hands at this point.

3.     Roll out the dough. On a floured surface, roll out your dough and place it in the pie plate. Save
        the remainder for the lattice crust.

4.     Mix the sugar and butter. In a separate bowl, use your pastry cutter to combine the sugar and
        butter. Mix until it's a course meal.

5.     Add fruit to the pie plate. Add your fruit to the pie plate. For this one I chose strawberries and
        blueberries, but my personal all time favorite is peach blueberry. MMMM.

6.     Add sugar mixture to the pie. Dump the sugar onto the fruit and mix it around.

7.     Cover with lattice crust. I always go for the lattice crust, but you could go solid crust if that's
        what you're into.

8.     Bake in oven for 35 - 45 min. You want it to have that nice golden glow, like a California tan.
        You know the look.

Enjoy this friends, and by golly eat it for breakfast if that's how you feel!

xoxo Sallie

No comments