Plans for the Kitchen Remodel

I'm back after a short hiatus! The weeks since we bought the new house have been a little bit of a blur. Andrew and I frantically worked to get our house ready for listing, and we we're thrilled to have an offer after just a few short days on the market (happy dance!).

Everything is on schedule and we should close on both houses the end of June. The goal is to start a few of the renovation projects on the new house right away -- the first of those projects being the kitchen.

When we moved into our current home all kitchen decisions had been made, and we really didn't have much say. Luckily for us, the kitchen was done beautifully and I doubt I would have done anything differently. This time though, I have a blank slate! I have been pinning, and pinning, and repinning, and pinning some more and finally have a solid idea of exactly what I want to do in our kitchen remodel.

Here are two of my inspiration pics from Blair Harris Design and Country Living.


I LOVE these kitchens. I'm a big fan of mixing old and new. I also love how light and airy these spaces feel. I am leaning towards black cabinets with open shelving and butcher block countertops, but I wouldn't be opposed to white either. I am most excited about getting new hardwood floors in my kitchen! NO MORE TILE, Bye Felicia! 

We don't own our new house yet so I can't show you pictures, but here is the current layout of the kitchen. 



It's very boxy. Something about this era of design, I guess they preferred more, smaller rooms instead of larger open spaces. The kitchen has a window into the living room (so classy) and another one into the sun room. We think the sunroom was an add-on, and the window was originally adjacent to the house exterior. 

There's also a large sliding glass door from the kitchen to the patio. 

There is a lot of cabinetry in here, but it gets crowded real fast. We want to substantially open this space up so it feels bigger. Here's how we are going to do it. 


First, we will rip out all existing cabinetry and appliances. We will then move and widen the door to the living room which will give us an open feel. The sliding glass door at the end of the kitchen is going to be a large window and the also the home of the new sink. The opening to the sunroom will go away and be replaced with a stainless steel range and range hood (fingers crossed!).

We'll do all open shelving on the long wall, which will save us some money, and upper cabinets on the short wall where the new stainless fridge will go. 

Here's a side by side comparison of the old and new kitchen so you can see exactly how much space we'll be gaining! 


We should be meeting with contractors and cabinet companies in the next few weeks, but the ball is definitely rolling! A big thank you to my sweet, handsome husband who did all these layouts for me in sketch up. 

Lastly, I've put together a mood board for the new kitchen and included a few of my must haves for this new space. I've listed the sources for everything so you can do a little shopping, too! 




What do you think? Want to come over and have breakfast in my new kitchen? 

Happy Homemaking! 
Sallie

8 comments

  1. The side by side is crazy different! It is going to look amazing! And yes…I'll come over for breakfast ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy! I don't know why they designed it to be so small!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Yes, I will come over and have breakfast-especially if you are making some eggs from your chickens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited for you! That kitchen you're going to design is going to be beautiful. We have some ideas for things to open up our house a little bit more and I'm pretty pumped about it. It will be a few years though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn! I think it will look great, too. I can't wait to read about your kitchen remodel -- I hope it happens sooner than you think! Until then, just keeping pinning : )

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see your progress along the way..Congrats on your new house and happy remodeling love all your idea's, and breakfast sounds great...miss seeing ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sallie, I love all the pictures and design you have picked. Your new kitchen and ours could be twins. We started with a blank slate too. We used IKEA cabinets, black against the wall with oak butcher counters, but on the large island (sits 5) we did high gloss white with Carrera marble counter. We got 13 inch cabinet pulls as well. No upper cabinets, large subway tile back splash and two reclaimed shelves for dishes. This design is timeless and I promise you will love it always. Congrats

    Bren Bratton

    ReplyDelete