Home Tour: A Bedroom Makeover...In Progress

We've been in our house for over 3 years, and I have never LOVED our bedroom. It's been ok, but not my favorite. The hardest part about decorating our bedroom has been finding the right layout. We have 2 windows and 3 doors in this small space, so it really limits what we're able to do. Over the past year, we've arranged and rearranged furniture in every way possible. Poor Andrew has disassembled and assembled our bed on 3 different occasions. Now finally, after 3 years of trying new things, I think we finally have something we can be proud of! Here's a snapshot of the bedroom adventure we've been on for the past 3 years.

Let's start at the very beginning.


This is our bedroom when we first moved in. As you can see, we have all the furniture in here including: a bed (well boxsprings, actually), an armoire, a dresser, and a vanity. It was very cramped.


In year 2 of marriage, we bought a rug and a bed, and swapped the dresser for a smaller blue one. We also rearranged the furniture to be on the opposite wall. This picture is taken from the same angle as the one above. It's close, but no cigar. 



In year 3 of marriage, we rearranged the furniture yet again! This time, we moved the bed to the back wall under the window, got rid of the large armoire and vanity, and added a chair. This arrangement has tons of space when you walk in, but now there's no good place to put a TV. Because of the lack of outlets, we had to keep the TV on the wall beside the bed. Not so bad for my side, but Andrew had to turn his head completely sideways to see the TV. Sorry, hun. 

By this point, Andrew was tired of moving things, and I don't blame him! We've been messing with this room for 3 years! I finally came to the realization that the reason I didn't like this room was because there was too much color. The rug was colorful, the dresser was blue, the curtains and lamps were orange, and the chair was floral. It was too much and it was stressing me out! 

Here's how I fixed it. First, I bought a new rug. Admitting to yourself that you purchased the wrong rug for your space can be hard -- especially when you've spent good money on something! But if doesn't work, it doesn't work. We rolled up the old rug and I found a new one...


... on overstock for $300! It's a neutral rug, so it's absolutely perfect. 


And Lola loved it! She spent a good 5 minutes rubbing her body all over it.


Then we replaced the blue dresser with this one from West Elm. We're getting closer!


Then, we moved the bed back to it's original spot against the first wall. Fitz was very happy to sit on the mattress and watch us work.


And now, it looks so. much. better. It's not done, as you can see we have yet to take the TV wall mount off the wall, but it's a start! I have some black frames from Pottery Barn to put above the bed, and I have plans to get dark curtains to replace the orange. I also want to invest in some new pillows and bedding. 


I wanted to take a picture of me jumping on the bed in celebration, but this was the best I could do. Notice the great toe extension -- I'm a pilates instructor you guys, I'm all about the pointed toes. 


We also swapped out the orange lamps for these simple white ones from Target. 

I hope this gives you hope for your own bedroom! That it can be a place you love, you just have to take some time getting there! 

xoxo Sallie

2 comments

  1. Love y'alls style! My husband and I just bought our first home and are going through similar rearranging activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Sometimes it takes a few different tries to get the right orientation!

      Delete