Father's Day Pillow DIY


What do you get when you mix Sir-mix-a-lot and a dad who loves hunting? You get a pillow you're proud to give your father, that's what.

For years, I have struggled to find the perfect gift for my dad. I bet some of you have similar struggles! My dad loves to hunt, but I never buy him hunting gear, because I have no clue what I'm getting.

A few Christmases ago as I was struggling to come up with a gift, an idea fell into my head that I assume had to be from the Lord himself because it was so brilliant. As I closed my eyes I saw the phrase "I like big bucks and I cannot lie." For those of you wondering "buck" is the term for a male deer, and the phrase itself is derived from Baby Got Back.

I thought to myself, "How do I use such a brilliant phrase in context with my dad?" And then I thought "Pillow." Bingo. Nailed it.

Christmas morning came, and my dad opened his present. There was laughter all the way around and he really appreciated the hilarity if not practicality of the gift.

Today, I share this gift with you. Use it well!


Materials
1.5 yards flannel fabric
• 2 - 3 felt sheets
• Pen
• Scissors
• Embroidery thread and needle
• Embroidery hoop
• Ruler
• Sewing machine and notions
• Ruler

Directions

1.      Cut your fabric. For a 15in pillow, cut one 17 x 17in square and two 17 x 12 rectangles.

2.      Trace and cut your felt letters. Use this template for your letters. Make sure you trace the
         letters backwards onto the felt, that way after you cut, the right side of your felt won't have any
         pen lines.

3.      Pin your letters. Use your ruler to measure and place your letters. Make sure you get
         everything squared up and centered.

4.      Sew your letters. Use your embroidery hoop to hold your fabric while you sewing your letters.
         Be sure to avoid stretching your fabric as you sew, so that your letters stay straight.

5.     Fold the edges. Fold over the long edge of the rectangular pieces so that your raw edge doesn't
        show. Do this on one side of both pieces.

6.     Assemble and sew. Lay you front piece down on the table face up. Place you rectangular pieces
       face down on top of the front piece so that they overlap each other. Pin in place, and sew up the
       sides.

7.     Trim the excess. Use your scissors to trim the excess fabric, and stuff your pillow!


I hope this helps you in your Father's Day gift hunt! 

Happy Homemaking!
Sallie

No comments