DIY Rope Coil Basket


I came across a really cute rope basket DIY the other day where you use hot glue to coil rope and make it into a basket. I had some cord left over from my macrame table runner so I thought I'd give it a go. It was a huge fail. I hated dealing with the hot glue webs and the inside of the basket was super messy.


I wasn't ready to give up though, and through MUCH trial and error I finally came up with a rope coil basket DIY that I loved!

Here's how you do it. 

Materials
Rope or macrame cord
• Hot glue - low temp
• Embroidery thread
• Embroidery needle
• Jar or bowl for shaping



Directions

1.     Thread your needle. You want to have enough thread to work with, but if you go too long it is 
        easily tangled. I opted for thread that was about 2 feet. You can go single with your thread, or 
        double it over for a thicker look. 

2.     Make a small coil with your rope. Hold it tight with your fingers then start at one side and pull 
        your needle and thread through. 

3.     Move your needle to the other side, pull your thread through again so your coil is secured. 

4.     Turn your work so that the rope coil is moving clockwise. Push your needle through the 
        bottom coil, then run it around the edge and back under. Check out the video to see exactly what 
        I mean.


5.     Keep working your coil until it is the size of the bottom of your bowl or jar. The bowl is for 
        shaping, we'll take it out at the end. 

Pro tip: When you change colors or run out of thread, hide your threaded ends by threading into the coil. See this video! 



6.     Use your hot glue to add a tiny dap to your bowl, and secure the coil. This just helps keep 
        everything in place while you are working. 

7.     Follow the curve of your bowl and keep coiling and stitching. You'll work until you get to 
        your desired height for a deep or shallow bowl. 

8.     Trim your cord, and use your thread to wrap around the edge to keep it from fraying. 

9.     Pull the bowl out of the basket, and remove all the hot glue. It should come out easily. 

Now you have some beautiful handmade bowls that you can use all over your house! Next time, I am going to keep the bowl in the basket and then turn it into a candle. How will you use your coiled bowls?

Happy Homemaking!
Sallie

No comments