DIY Rose Petal Bath Bombs



I'm a big fan of baths. Truth be told, I take a hot back most nights after work. It helps me relax, unwind, and get ready for a restful evening. I'm also a big fan of bath bombs, but I don't love running to Lush every time I need one. I did a little digging and found that bath bombs can me made with ingredients you probably already have on hand AND you can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes! They make great gifts for friends, or for yourself : )

The Players
• 1 Cup Citric Acid
• 1 Cup Baking Soda
• 1/2 Cup Corn Starch
• 1/2 Melted Coconut Oil
• 8 to 10 Drops Essential Oil
• Roses
• Food Coloring
• Plastic mold or form

*Makes about 2 large bath bombs or 5 medium ones.

I started by drying my rose petals. I got these spray roses from Target for $5! The smaller petals are great for bath bombs and the price is easy on the wallet. Pull the blooms apart on a lined baking sheet, then move to the oven for about 30 minutes at 170F. You want them dry, but not crispy.


While your waiting on that, you can start mixing your dry ingredients. Add your corn starch, baking soda and citric acid to a medium bowl and mix until it's a find powder. You could use a sifter here to make sure everything is incorporated evenly. 

Then it's time to add the wet ingredients. Pour your coconut oil, essential oil, and food coloring in super slow as you continue mixing with you hand. If it starts to fizz, you're pouring too quickly. Combine everything and it should feel like moist sand. Mine was having trouble sticking together, so I added a tiny bit more coconut oil. 


You can add your dried petals to the mixture and start forming the molds. I bought mine from Amazon, but I also found a few plastic molds at my local craft store. A silicone baking mold would be a good option, too. You'll really need to pack the mixture into both sides of the mold, then add a little more as overflow. Mash the two ends together, and then very carefully peel off one side of the mold. 

It took me a few tries before I could get the bath bomb out without crumbling. Luckily for us, you've got as much time as you need and you can try, try again. 


Once you've gotten your bath bombs out of the mold, set them aside to dry. I left mine in a cupcake pan overnight. 

These are so simple, and a fun project. For Galentine's Day, I'm having my friends come over and make a big batch of these. 


Wrap these in a cute bag, send to your friends and family, and keep some for yourself! You can even have regular bath bomb making parties with your friends -- that's what I'm doing!

xoxo Sallie

2 comments

  1. What exactly is the name of these molds? I'm going to be making these with my youth girls at our Galentine's party... Thanks for the super fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are "Clear Plastic Ornaments." I found a pack of 18 on Amazon!

      Delete