8 Rugs Under $500!

Hello homemakers! Today I'm bring you a round up of my favorite rugs for under $500. Before we get into that, I just have one question. Have you voted today? No?!? Go vote for me now! If you have no clue what I'm talking about, read this!

Now, to our regularly scheduled programming.

I love rugs! Over the last 3 years, I've added a rug to every room in our house except the kitchen and bathrooms. Rugs are a great alternative to carpet, because you can add pattern and color in a way that you can't with regular carpet. They also serve as a fashionable protectant to hardwood floors.

They're a great way to spruce up a space. See the difference the rug made in my bedroom?

However, with all their great qualities they do have one downfall -- they can be very expensive. A good area rug can run you anywhere from $500 - $1,500. If you are like me, you want a quality rug but don't want to pay through the nose lest you change your mind. How do you navigate a super tough decision like committing to a rug? Don't panic, I am here to help! Below, you'll find my 3 tips for buying a rug and 8 area rugs that I found for under $500! Hopefully all this will be helpful to you in your next rug buying adventure.

Sallie's Rug Rules
• Does it have enough pattern to hide stains? For high traffic areas, or if you have pets and kids,
  you want a rug with enough pattern that it will hide a stain. Someone is bound to spill something
  eventually, and you don't want it to ruin the rug or stick out like a sore thumb. I avoid rugs that are
  one solid color for this very reason -- one stain and they're done!

Does it shed? If purchasing online, read the reviews! Thick wool rugs, while comfy for the feet,
  shed a lot. If that doesn't bother you, it may not be a big issue. Right now our dining room rug
  sheds like crazy and puts dust bunnies all over the house. Not ideal.

Does it fit my space? I mean this in two ways. First, does it fit size wise? For a living room go with
  a large 8' x 10' or 9' x 12' rug. Most people skimp and go small because it's cheaper, but DON'T DO
  IT! Spend the extra money and get a rug that fits your space. Emily Henderson has a great write up
  on "too small" rugs. Read it! Secondly, does it fit the style of your space? I've been swooned by a
  super cool rug I loved, but it did not go with anything else in my room, therefore it looked and
  felt awful. If you are unsure, take pictures and look at everything side by side. Does it fit your style?
  When in doubt, I always go a little neutral so I can bring color in elsewhere.




1. nuLoom Traditional Raised Adileh, Overstock.com $384
2. Ortega Rug, Lulu & Georgia $426
3. Transitional Chenille Rug, Overstock.com $314
4. Transitional Oriental Chenille Rug, Overstock.com $480
5. Bell Ana Rug, Lulu & Georgia $370
6. Homespun Moroccan Trellis Rug, Rugs USA $499
7. Emperor Rug, Lulu & Georgia $444
8. Zeno Rug, Lulu & Georgia $346


Do you agree with my rules? Which rugs are your favorite? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

xoxo Sallie

No comments