A Day in the Life of Backyard Chicken Raising Pt. 4


It finally snowed last week in Oklahoma -- just in time for....2 days after Christmas. I've been waiting to see how chickens will react to the cold weather and the general consensus among the girls is, they don't love it. Andrew said when he fed them yesterday they hopped on one leg so they could keep the other foot from touching the snow! I'm hoping it will snow again so I can see that!


When I went out to check on them, the ladies were watching the snow from the comfort of the coop. You can see here how dirty their coop was! Since it's been so rainy, I've had the hardest time keeping their area dry and poop free. I find when the coop is wet they lay less, so I am working a little harder to keep their space clean. 



We've also had to work to keep their water unfrozen. The coop doesn't really get direct sunlight since the days have been shorter, so I have to break ice and refill often. 


Today though, a lot of the snow started melting and the chickens came out of their coop without much coaxing.


Except for Little Chicken -- she retreated to the bamboo forest. Can you see her?


 I got too close, and she shot right out of there. Little chicken is crazy -- I've seen her run up a wall to avoid human contact. 


One thing I do love about the snow is, it makes the chickens come to the backdoor so I can see their fluffy butts from the window. Fitz loves to watch them, too. 


And since it's so cold, they squat down low to stay warm and look exceptionally fat! 

I'm still loving my chickens. Are any of you thinking about adding them to your family in 2016?

xoxo Sallie


No comments