Grand Plans for the Backyard 2016

When we moved in, the inside of our home received a total facelift -- new floors, paint, cabinets, etc. The backyard, not so much. Our backyard is pretty bland. It got a little better last year with the addition of the chicken coop which added some color, but it's far from being a space that I'm proud of.


Here's our backyard in it's hay day, last summer. It did look pretty nice, I guess I'm just hating it more because it's winter and everything is brown.

My dream is to have a backyard where we can host parties, cook out, and have game nights. The problem is, it's as hot as a biscuit here in the summer and our south facing backyard has ZERO shade.  In the Spring when the weather is perfect I wonder why we don't spend more time outside, and then July hits and I remember why.

Here is my list of things I'd like to tackle this year...

• sun shades above the patio
• string lights over the patio
• new top on dining table
• outdoor rug
• fence the chicken space
• hammock
• 2 new raised flower beds
• new outdoor seating
• make outdoor pillows
• privacy fence around the sides

...and here's what we're working with.


This is my actual backyard. I did nothing to prep for these pictures -- it actually looks this terrible.


As you can see, we've got lots of chicken turds and a few dead plants. The chaise lounges were my mom's, and they are definitely usable! The table is not terrible, it just needs a new top. I also made a "bench" from cinder blocks last year and it needs a facelift as well. 

The main problem is the issue of shade, but I have a plan! I found these awesome triangular sun shades that I think would be perfect for our space. 


Photo Credit to Tuscon.com who also has a great article about sun shades and where to buy them. Check that out here. I love the way these would add shade and color. I also think it would be rad to string some lights from them, too. 

The other issue is the chickens. I love them, but they poop everywhere. It's pretty impossible to keep them from pooping on the patio, so Andrew and I are thinking of creating a little fenced area for them that would keep them off the patio. I also hate that you can't walk through the backyard without stepping on poop. It's especially bad in the winter when everything just sort of stays put. 


And this is my drawing of what I want my backyard to look like. Doesn't this feel like a happy place already? This doesn't show the sunshades, but the string lights already look awesome. 

Have you tackled a backyard renovation? I'll take all the tips I can! 

xoxo Sallie




No comments