DIY Tree Skirt


Every year we buy a Christmas tree from our local tree farm. During the month of December, our Christmas tree really becomes a part of the family. This year I even gave our tree a name. This is me with "Theresa." She's so happy to meet you.




After decorating Theresa, I felt like she was really lacking something. Then it dawned on me --- she's not wearing pants! She needed a tree skirt. I needed to help Theresa stay lady like, so I came up with this simple felt tree skirt. It's a perfect party dress...for a tree.

Before sewing, I gathered inspiration from other tree skirts, and I really loved this one I saw at West Elm this past weekend. Their's is $77, but you can make mine for about $35! All you need are some basic sewing skills, or you can use your trusty hot glue gun. And as always, if you don't want to make your own, head to my Etsy and you can buy one from me!

Here are the details:


The Players

• 1 1/2 yd of felt -- you want at least 48in in width
• *Pom Poms garland - Joann's or Etsy
• Scissors
• Ruler
• Measuring Tape
• Pen or Sharpie

* For the pom poms you will need a minimum of 3.5 yards for each color you want to use, but you will need more like 4.5 yards per color for a larger skirt. 

Directions

1. Fold you felt. Take your square piece of felt, fold it over long ways, then fold it over again so that
     two of the edges are folded. For all you visual people, here is a diagram.


2. Trace the edges. Using your ruler or measuring tape, start at the folded corner and measure out "_"
    in. I use "_" because this is the part where you make your skirt as large as you want it. For
    reference, I made a small skirt and I measured out 21in. For a large skirt, I would go out closer to
    30in. Once you've made your first mark, pivot the tape a few inches and make another mark. This
    is like using a carpentry compass.

    At the folded edge, trace another half circle. This will be the part that goes around the tree.



3. Make your cuts. Cut along your lines. When you are done, you'll have a donut shaped piece of
    felt. Cut one straight line from the edge to the center, so that you have an opening for your skirt

4. Pin the pom poms. Using your ruler, measure and pin the pom pom trim. I started with the
    furthest piece, and made sure it was even by measuring every few inches. Repeat with the rest of
    your pom poms or trim.



5. Sew or glue the trim. Using your sewing machine or glue gun, attach the trim! If you are sewing,
    be patient with this step, as the pom poms tend to throw themselves under the presser foot.


6. Add the ties. Cut four 8" strips of felt, and sew them to the ends of the skirt. This is how you will
    tie it to your tree.




I would love to see how you got creative this Christmas! Leave a message in the comments below.

xoxo Sallie



No comments