Becoming My Own Blog Boss


This week is my first week as a full time, stay at home, blogger -- something I have been dreaming about for years! Last May, I started this blog at the urging of my friends, and almost 12 months later I have the opportunity to make attempt to make this my full time gig!

While this is such an amazing adventure I get to go on, it's also kind of scary. I received an email this week from an entrepreneur + blog tips site I follow that said "Hey Sallie! Did you know that 90% of blogs fail?" Perfect timing. I have so many ideas for what I would like to do, and how I would like to do it, but at the back of my mind there's also the thought "What if this fails." What if I invest time, money, energy into this thing and it never goes anywhere?

I am sure I'm not the first person starting a blog business to think that, but it can be easy when you see everyone else killing it to think that you don't have what it takes. One of my favorite things to do is to look at my favorite bloggers sites when they first started. I click the "go back" button on their page until I find the beginning of their blog. I love to see at what point things started changing for them. Same thing with instagram. Go look at your favorite accounts and see where they started. Most of them have taken months if not years to develop their style and look.

Gives you some perspective and hope, right?

This is a BIG change in mine and Andrew's lives, and it's one that hasn't been taken lightly. We've been talking about something like this for YEARS. It's with a lot of prayer, and asking God for wisdom that we were even able to feel comfortable rearranging our lives and our finances in a big way. But through all of the "what ifs," this verse has come to mind.

Proverbs 18:16 "A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men."

That verse right there has saved me, so many times. It's a very noisy social world we live in and there are millions of other blogs and countless other wives trying to make it just like I am. How on earth do I offer anything different than the next person? Then I remember, A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men. 

I realize this isn't a super interesting blog post, but this is MONUMENTAL for me because this dream has been with me for 5 years. All of this to say, I am not exactly sure where The Urban Acres is going, or where it can take me, but I have a few ideas. It will be interesting to see how the next 12 months go. I so thankful for what God did with the first 12, and I have no doubt he'll be here in the next.

xoxo Sallie 

No comments