Beignets, Bread Pudding, and Weird Al: Our Trip to New Orleans


This past week, Andrew and I traveled through the "Big Easy" and made our way down to New Orleans, or as we like to say now "Naw-lans." It was fun trip, and I have the pictures to prove it.


I have heard a lot about this city from friends and HGTV, but I feel like the pictures you see on TV just don't do it justice. Upon arrival I was not so impressed, but I really changed my tune by the time we left. 


When you drive into New Orleans it feels like your average city, but then you exit the highway and find yourself transported into a thriving 1800's style town. The streets are narrow one-ways that feel like back alleys, and there are people walking around everywhere! Band music and jazz plays on several streets -- it's really something. 


First we walked down famous Bourbon Street. This street is pretty gross.  It smells like vomit, pee, and crap that's been sitting in the hot sun and seeping into the street. It's putrid. When you step in a puddle, just know it's probably not rainwater. Word of advice: don't wear open toed shoes! Needless to say, we didn't stay there long. 


We had heard that Bourbon House on the corner of Bourbon St. was good though, so that's where we ate. I had the chef's special, and Andrew the corn soup. 


We walked around Canal Street a little, and then headed up to bed after a weary day of traveling.


The next morning, we went to the French Quarter. WAY COOLER than Bourbon Street. Way cooler. It is so charming and the architecture is amazing! I wanted to take a picture of every building, they were all so unique.


 We went to the highly recommend Café Du Monde for some beignets. They were quite tasty, but heavy. I could only eat one.


 Here is Andrew enjoying his second beignet in Jackson Square. 


We spent the rest of the day walking around, stumbling into odd shops and cafés.


 We found this old bookstore, and of course Andrew found a cat and made it love him. He has a way of charming the feline species. 


We went into several art galleries, but I couldn't take pictures because you aren't allowed to take any. Andrew found out that out the hard way. We also walked through this outdoor flea market. 


We probably walked around the same streets over and over, but I saw something new each time we walked down. There are so many neat shops and cafés tucked into odd alleyways. 


We stopped in for lunch at Pierre Maspero's. This café was est. in 1788 and Andrew Jackson himself met there to discuss battle plans! Although, don't quote me on that as I skimmed over the history on the back of the menu. 


We had salads so that we could make room for this bread pudding, and it was amazing. 


We came across a loom shop, Louisiana Loom Works, where I talked to the owner. She and her husband have been in the city for 26 years and owned this shop for 18! He learned to make rag rugs as a child, and now they do it as a business. 


They hand loom giant rugs which take about 18 days to make. The rugs are made from cotton threads grouped together.  


She did really amazing work, and of course Andrew charmed her cat.


And right before we left, we saw Weird Al! I could tell that he just wanted to keep walking, but I wanted him to know that my nephew loved him so I quickly spit out "My nephew loves you! We took him to your concert!" But I could tell that he didn't really know what I said. So there I was, making weird eye contact with Weird Al, feeling stupid because he had no idea what I was talking about. Oh well. 


I pulled myself together after the "weird" encounter, and before we left I snapped one final picture of Jackson Square. It was a lovely visit. 

Ever been to New Orleans? Ever had a weird celebrity encounter? I would love to hear about both! 

xoxo Sallie



No comments