A Day In The Life of Backyard Chicken Raising Pt. 3


Today we are talking chicken breeds! I've had lots of people ask me how many eggs chickens lay a day, and it really depends on the breed you choose.

I'm going to start with the 3 breeds that I have.

The Cinnamon Queen

Henrietta and Bilina are Cinnamon Queens, and they are my best egg layers -- in fact it's what they are bred to do! Cinnamon Queens lay an average of 250 - 300 large brown eggs per year which equals almost an egg a day. So far my chickens have only skipped maybe 1 or 2 days of laying, so between the two of these ladies, I get 14 eggs a week! In the fall/winter when the daylight is dwindling I expect the egg production to go down -- chickens lay better when there is more sunshine. They can also be effected by heat, but even during this hot Oklahoma summer these ladies haven't taken a personal day yet. If you are looking for a breed that will give you the most bang for your buck, these are the girls you need!



Henrietta is also my most photogenic chicken. 

The Dominique

Pauline, Betty, and Martha are Dominique chickens. Right now, only one of them is laying and only a few times a week at that! I am hopeful that as soon as the temperature drops they will all start laying regularly. Chickens start to lay around 20 weeks of age, but I think my girls have been delayed due to this heat! Average egg production for a Dominique is about 230 eggs per year. They lay better in the winter, so between them and my Cinnamon Queens, I should have eggs all year round.


The Speckled Sussex

I was told that Little Chicken is a Speckled Sussex, but I actually suspect she is something else. Regardless, the Speckled Sussex has an egg production really similar to the Dominique. Little Chicken hasn't started to lay yet, but she should be in full swing this fall. She used to be my friendliest chicken, but now she runs around the yard and is terrified of everything. I'm hoping it's just a phase and she'll come to her senses soon.


I have to sneak pictures of Little Chicken, she's really self conscious of her dramatic weight gain these last few months. She's also highly suspicious. 


Besides the breeds of chickens that I have, there are a few that are known for their egg laying abilities. I don't know a ton about these particular breeds, but I've linked to places where you can read about it for yourself!

Leghorn
Rhode Island Red
Barred Rock

The Silkie

And then of course, my dream chicken, Silkies! These chickens aren't known or used for their egg laying abilities, but gosh darn they are so cute! Can't you just see these little fuzzies waddling around my yard? I can! Fun fact: Silkies were what made me want chickens in the first place. My local garden nursery has roaming chickens and one of them was a Silkie! I will own one someday!


Photo Cred: Huffington Post

What do you look for in a chicken? Personality? Work ethic? Let me know in the comments below! 

xoxo Sallie



2 comments

  1. Hey Sallie, I've done a lot of researching on chicken breeds, but I hadn't heard of the Cinnamon Queen before. Where did you get your chicks from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brittney! I actually got mine last spring as hens. I found them through a local backyard chicken Facebook group -- check for your city, I bet you have one, too! Otherwise, there are usually farmers on Craigslist looking to downsize where you can pick them up, too.

      Delete