Modern Quilting


Quilting is a great way to use up the extra fabric you have. It's also a useful life skill. Imagine being stranded in your home during the winter and the heater goes out, you're going to need to put a quilt together and fast! It's also a classic pastime -- ever been to your grandma's house and noticed she has a gazillion quilts? That's not by accident. I believe age is directly related to the number of quilts you have in your linen closet. They have to come from somewhere, so before you are gifted another hideous quilt that only comes out for picnics, maybe try making your own modern quilt that can stay out year round and be loved by your children's children!


I became interested in quilting last year when I came across some modern quilts on pinterest. My favorite modern quilter is Tara from Rad & Happy. Go look at her stuff right now, I'll wait for you. 


This quilt is about twin size, which is the largest quilt I've made to date! I figure if I can make this one, I can probably make all my kids bedding in the future. See, useful lifeskill!


This is Georgia, the puppy we are puppy sitting for the week and she approves this quilt. 


This quilt is slightly smaller, and I made it with almost 100% scrap fabric that I already had. It felt good to get rid of a good chunk of my stash! Side note: This quilt is great for napping! 


I also tried something new to quilt the top of it. I used a free motion presser foot and did a meandering stitch. It worked really well for my first try. 


Georgia approves this quilt as well. 

This style cross quilt is incredibly easy to make. If you can sew a straight line, you can make this. I am working on a third quilt, so I put together this pic of how you can make the cross block. I used 4in fabric squares, by the way. 


Start with 3 rows of 3 squares. Make sure you've pressed down your seams!


Pin and sew each row, right sides together.


Press your seams open! Super important or the whole thing will look wonky.


And there you have it, finished square! 

I'd love to know if you guys are working on any projects! Leave your comments below, and happy sewing! 

xoxo Sallie

No comments