Best Sugar Cookies Recipe

If you'll remember, a few months ago I tried (and failed) sugar cookie decorating. I failed miserably, and you can read about that failure here, but today I am here to redeem myself AND I have a great sugar cookie recipe to share.

In addition to the botched frosting on my last batch of cookies, they also completely lost their shape.  It looked like I was decorating shapeless lobs of dough. This time I searched for a recipe that would hold it's shape, and I found this one from my friend Debbie. This is from her 8th grade Home Ec class, and it is the best recipe I have ever used for intricate shapes PLUS it's super tasty. 


Ingredients 
1 1/3 cup shortening
• 1 3/4 cup sugar
• 4 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/4 cup milk
• 4 cups flour
• 1/2 tbsp baking powder
• pinch of salt

Directions
1. Mix shortening and sugar together in a large bowl.
2. Blend in vanilla, beaten egg, and milk.
3. In a medium bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add about 1/3 cup of dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir together.
5. When all ingredients are mixed, put dough on wax paper, wrap and chill for one hour.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough until your desired thickness.
7. Dip your cookie cutter in flour, and cut your cookies.
8. Place cookies on lightly greased baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 375 for 5 - 7 minutes.
9. Let cool and frost
10. Enjoy!




I did use this recipe for my decorated cookies, and they turned out so much better! I am not quite ready to do the big reveal of my new cookie decorating skills, but I promise you guys will be the first to see.

xoxo Sallie

No comments